5 OBSERVATIONS ABOUT SKILL (Preparation: Key to Success 6)
Skill brings success. But skill does not come cheap. As I wound down these particular series of posts let me tell you these five things I have observed about skill.
1. SKILL IS NOT A BLESSING! What I mean is this: You may be blessed with talent or anointing but nobody is blessed with skill. You develop and cultivate skill with practice. Therefore, skill is not something you can fast or pray about, or wish it into existence! It will be produced with sweat. Period!
2. NOBODY IS BORN WITH SKILL. You may be born with talent – an innate ability to sing, paint, draw, act, speak, and dance or whatever. But nobody is born with skill. Every talent is raw at birth. It must be developed by practice before it can be marketed and celebrated. Talent wins but not without discipline (the discipline that skill cultivation brings). Genius is 2% inspiration and 98% perspiration. If you are inspired and you don’t perspire, you will expire! Every expert is only an amateur who kept on practicing. Keep on sharpening and honing your skills because only your skills would bring you success. Nobody buys raw talent; skill is the only thing you can market. Period!
3. SKILL IS PRODUCED WITH TIME. Skill is cultivated by practice, but practice takes time. Proficiency is gained by long hours on the same job. A medical doctor friend of mine once said to me that the difference between an average and the better surgeon is the number of hours of practice.
4. SKILL IS PRODUCED WITH ADEQUATE INFORMATION. Skills are basically learnt. So you can update your skills by exposing yourself to current information in your line of calling. Some who were masters of their trade yesterday are no more in business today because they are outdated, and thus outclassed and outperformed! “Any enterprise… profits [only] wonderfully by keeping abreast of the facts.” (Proverbs 24:4, The Living Bible)
5. SKILL IS ALSO ENHANCED BY GOOD ASSOCIATION. When you associate with men of skill, people who are at the top of their game, you will improve too. Seek great mentors. Drink from their fountain of wisdom. Develop friendships with the experts in your field. He that walks with the skilled will soon become an expert too. (See Proverbs 13:20) Hear what the scriptures say further: “As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.” (Proverbs 27:17)
If you have stayed with me in these series of posts, what I have tried to say to you is simple: PREPARATION IS A VITAL KEY TO SUCCESS IN ANY ENDEAVOR. You can program yourself to succeed. You only need to prepare yourself. And you can start today. YOU WILL SUCCEED!
If you’ve been blessed by this, you will like the previous posts in this series:
Part 1 – Success is not an accident
Part 2 – Be Prepared!
Part 3 – Accumulate matter!
Part 4 – Practice makes perfect
Part 5 – Skill brings success
Posted on October 26, 2012, in Attitude, Bible, Choice, Desire, Destiny, Discipline, Dreams, Excellence, Goals, Ideas, Inspiration, Leadership, Life, Mentoring, Mind, Ministry, Motivation, Personal Development, Preparation, Purpose, Quotes, Relationships, Skills, Success, Talent, Vision and tagged Attitude, Change, Decision, Excellence, Goals, Inspiration, Leadership, Mentoring, Mind, Ministry, Personal Development, Purpose, Success, Wisdom, Work. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.