Have you ever asked yourself, “Why do I do what I do?” I mean, why do you do what you do for a living? I learnt years ago that motivation is derived from ‘motive’. So, if you can identify your motives for doing what you do, staying motivated on your vocation/calling won’t be a problem.
What do I do? I’m a preacher! A preacher of the glorious gospel of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. But that’s just the bare bones of it. This is because over the last decade, I’ve found different outlets to do that. As a result, I’ve been called different things: writer, author, motivational speaker, Bible teacher, pastor, leadership coach.
But basically, what I do is pray, study and think. Then I speak, I teach, I coach, I write. I find ways to help people by communicating the things I discover and learn from life and God’s Word via any and every available media.
Materially, has it paid off? Oh yes! But much more than that I’m fulfilled. I don’t think I’ll ever be satisfied doing any other thing.
So, why do I do what I do? Why do I preach? Why do I write? Why would I preach one more message? Write one more book? Why do I and why would I, honor invitations to speak any more? Why do I convene seminars, conferences and similar meetings? Why? Why? Why?
These are my reasons for doing what I do.
1. I PREACH BECAUSE I AM CALLED BY GOD TO DO IT. Nah! I can tell you vividly the circumstances, the date, the time when and the place where it happened. And I still feel it, very strongly, till date. But, that’s quite subjective. Anybody can claim that he/she heard God’s calling and how would you prove that? Every Tom, Dick, and Harry; Ojo, Aina and Suberu, anybody who is somebody, does claim that daily. So, I feel that’s not sufficient enough a reason. But for me, first and foremost, I preach because I’m called by God to preach.
2. I PREACH BECAUSE I BELIEVE THE GOSPEL OF JESUS IS THE ONLY THING THAT CAN HELP HUMANITY AND THIS WORLD. Nothing else can. No glib talk nor deep-sounding philosophy can. Jesus, and Jesus alone is the way, the truth and the life! (John 14:6) Because, He’s the way, by following Him you can’t miss it! He’s the truth, so all else is a lie if it’s not in consonance with Him (Romans 3:4). He is the life. Any other thing is perdition!
3. I PREACH BECAUSE I KNOW THAT WHAT I HAVE TO SAY WILL HELP THOSE WHO LISTEN TO ME. I have something to say that will add value to you. That’s why I preach. I preach because I want to make a difference in people’s lives and situations.
4. I PREACH BECAUSE I’M INDEBTED TO MY GENERATION. I’ve taken so much out of this life that I can’t but give back. God has invested too much in me that it would be outright unfair not to invest in others.
5. I CONTINUE TO PREACH BECAUSE I’M LIKE JEREMIAH, the ancient prophet who said, ““I will not mention of Him, nor speak anymore in His name.” But His word was in my heart like a burning fire shut up in my bones. I was weary of holding it back. And I could not.”” (Jeremiah 20:9)
6. I CONTINUE TO PREACH BECAUSE I SEE AND I’M CONVINCED OF THE DIFFERENCE, THIS MESSAGE OF THE GOSPEL CAN AND DOES MAKE IN PEOPLE’S LIVES. I’ve seen sick bodies healed, the dead come back to life, broken homes and marriages mended, dead businesses revived; I’ve seen careers advanced and lives practically turned around. I’ve seen hope birthed afresh where disillusionment and despair reigned before. So, to see one more life touched is an incentive to keep doing what I do.
7. I PREACH BECAUSE ONE DAY I WILL GIVE ACCOUNT of what I did with my life and the deposit God has made in me, the privileges I’ve enjoyed and the opportunities I’ve been given to Him who gave me life (Romans 14:12).
8. Finally, and don’t fight me on this: I PREACH BECAUSE I ENJOY DOING THIS. I’M CONVINCED IT IS THE GREATEST CALLING ON EARTH. And I feel so blessed and privileged by God to be one of His messengers on earth. “No man takes this honor to himself except He that is called of God as Aaron was.” (Hebrews 5:4)